Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day weekend and blessings

Hal is leaving on his mission in a couple days.  We have traditionally as a family given each child a father's blessing at the beginning of the school year.  I typically start with the youngest child and ask them what they would like a blessing for.  Each child seems to desire and feel that the blessing does them good.  Quinn was worried about getting mad.  Katy was worried about being a good student.  Macey was worried about school.  Hal, of course, says he's worried about nothing.  There was a good spirit there as each in turn had their blessing and I felt the spirit strongest with Hal as he was leaving on his mission.  I also gave Teresa a blessing as well.  I took the opportunity to ask Hal for a blessing as he now has the Priesthood.  I have been feeling the need for a blessing lately and had no idea to ask but it dawned on me that Hal could do it.  He did a good job and said that if I was faithful the business would thrive and I would be happier than I have in the past.  I am glad I took the opportunity because I remember one time Bishop Buxton regretted not taking the opportunity to have his sons give him a blessing when he had gotten injured. 

Otherwise Labor Day weekend went well even though we did not do our traditional camping trip in Island Park.  We mostly cleaned and caught things up.  Today it rained so much that we would have had to bring home so many wet things that it would not have been fun.

One good thing I did this weekend was build my first load for my new rifle the .300 RCM.  I have had it a few months now and still have not shot it as there is no ammunition available.  It can be bought online but is expensive with shipping so the only good option is to handload it.  I started with a Nosler 150 gr. Ballistic tip and 59.0 grains of IMR 4350 and loaded five rounds.  Unfortunately I got to my shooting spot in Piney Creek Pass a little too late and the sun was down so my chronograph would not read right and I did not get any velocity readings.  The cases, however, showed no signs of pressure so I'm sure its ok.  Accuracy was not relevant as I was shooting over a failing chronograph but I will post a picture anyway.  The smaller holes are .22 and the bigger holes are the 30 caliber.  I shot at a distance of around 35 yards with open sights.  Certainly nothing to brag about.
 I also added a picture of the sun going down with all the smoke in the air.  Its been a smoky last few weeks due to all the fires around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment