Sunday, January 4, 2015

Letter to Hal, January 4, 2015

I haven't posted much lately so I thought I would just post a letter I wrote to Hal while he is still in his mission in Dallas, Texas.  We were visiting my mom and dad on Jan. 1, who were in the LDS hospital at the John Huntsman Cancer institute for bone marrow transplants.  After all the pictures is the letter.




















































Couple things happened at church today.  We have an elder here who is from Carolton Texas.  Apparently his dad is the stake President and you had either had dinner over there or something of the sort.  I think his name is Elder Blake.  Mom got to talk to him but I didn't.  Keegan bore his testimony and is headed out again to California this week.  I gave him some encouragement.  I hope its not because his parents are giving him so much grief.  Another interesting thing was Bro. Peterson gave his testimony and told us that his son Logan in his mission to Mexico was being transferred by bus somewhere and had a distinct impression to stand up and bear his testimony to the whole bus.  He kept putting off the prompting thinking it was ridiculous but the prompt came again so strong that he stood right up and bore his testimony.  When the bus got to the stop a bunch of people came up and asked him for his information saying they were interested and he ended up with a whole bunch of investigators.  I think its a good idea to try to cultivate the ability to listen to the spirit.  Makes me want to try harder.  I know every day we get little thoughts that are probably from the spirit but we probably tend to ignore.  I do remember a couple of times I did follow the spirit and I ended up getting some baptisms. I think if we follow the spirit, no matter how weird or difficult it seems, the end point will turn out right.

I took the girls and Quinn down to see your Grandmother in the hospital.  She did a bout of chemotherapy and has had a bone marrow transplant.  She, right now, is in a lot of pain.  Her hair is falling out as well.  They had to remove her gall bladder today as it was terribly inflamed and was giving her lots of pain.  When we visited her she would slip in and out of consciousness.  She talked to the girls for only about 30 seconds.  She asked how you were doing.  I told her you were doing well and she was glad.   I fasted pretty hard for her today as I really don't know the outcome.  I had also asked all my family to fast as well.  I would also ask you to keep her in your prayers and to fast as well.  They may be a little difficult to get to know but your grandparents do love you and care about you.   It has been really hard on her and my dad.  I think if my dad loses her it will be a tough situation.

We stayed one night in a hotel called the Chrystal Inn which was recommended by LouAnne and Troy, so we could visit mom again before we went home.  It was pretty good with a good pool and breakfast and it had a couch pullout bed, microwave and fridge.  Not as expensive as what we've stayed in before but pretty decent.  The only bad thing is its by a McDonalds and twice I had bums asking me for money so they could go get something off the dollar menu.  They would kind of hover around the parking lot until somebody parked.  I think thats kind of lame and the hotel should have police handy if that happens.  A funny thing did happen to the first one that stopped me.  My dad had dropped us off at the hotel.  I had bought a new holster for my new gun so I can carry it on my chest.  I wanted to show my dad so he could get a pattern off of it and make me similar ones for my other guns.  As my dad dropped us off I told him to wait a second and I would show it to him.  Right as I am reaching in the truck and hauling out this big ole pistol with a big ole hole in the muzzle, a bum is standing right behind me asking for money.  I'm pretty sure he saw the big ole gun as his eyes got really big and he looked like he was about to bolt.  I gave him a dollar in change and away he ran.  That gave me a good giggle.

That night we had to eat at Chuckarama as Leigh and Jeremy were there.  I had said we wanted to eat out and so they invited us to go with them.  I paid for my dad's meal as he had told me not to get him a present for Christmas so I did that even though he didn't want me to.  James and Mitsi met us there as they live about 30 minutes away.  It was good food but boy my ankles were awful swollen and the kids were farting all night after.  I really think its about the same as eating school lunch.  I then took the kids out to see Temple square with all the Christmas lights.  They put a lot of work into their lights so its an opportunity you can't miss.  I will post some pictures of that for you.  I was awful cold that night.  We had been hitting -20 all week at home so it was probably around 0 that night in SLC.

Well, we had a pretty good week.  It was nice to have a lot of time off from work but I didn't get to relax much because of all the new laws regarding healthcare.  Our software was supposed to be updated but I couldn't get it to go on New Year's Eve and of course nobody is around for support so I had to leave it and worry all week if we would have software for Monday.  

Other news, David and Olivia are having a baby boy.  Not sure if anybody told you yet.  We took the kids skating with a new family in our ward.  Their last names are Funk.  Katy bruised her tailbone pretty bad.  The kids were mad because their skates had not gotten sharpened yet so they had to use the rental ones.  They looked a lot clumsier with those crappy skates.  I now have an Iphone 6 plus which is a gigantic phone almost the size of a small tablet.  It does a lot of stuff and takes better pictures so its worth hauling it around.  I might need to get a backpack made just for it though.

I hope you guys are having success.  We are so proud of you.  I hope your testimony is growing. 
Love,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment