Monday, May 16, 2016

Mt. Vernon, Washington's Home

Day 2 Afternoon was Mt. Vernon

What a great place.  Mt. Vernon was so incredibly peaceful.  I loved the way the mansion sat up on a grassy hill overlooking the river.  I believe it was the Potomac River.  We toured the grounds and saw his tomb.  Then we went up and through all the buildings and the mansion and sat for awhile on his porch.  This was a very crowded place and so we went down to the gift center and museum.  We started to go through the museum but we couldn't get far as there was quite a crowd of people.  At the gift shop me and Macey stood in line and got a chocolate shake.  It was really good but they were just closing so we didn't get to sit in there.   We went outside to wait for the bus and noticed there were a lot of giant bees flying around.  I got some decent photos of them.  Mt. Vernon is run by a private organization called the Women of Mt. Vernon.  I think thats actually wrong so if I ever find it I will correct it.  Anyway the name explains who takes care of the grounds.

Waiting in line

replicas of original fences I believe


George Washington and his wife and 2 kids which I don't believe was his but  hers.

The mansion

Macey

Me and the mansion


Just thought I would get a picture of everybody taking a picture of Karen posing in front of Mt.  Vernon's Mansion


Washington's tomb

Kylee, Macey and katy


Where lies George Washington





It was almost like a small village with all the buildings.  There were blacksmith shops, sheds, barns and all kinds of buildings




Waiting to go into the mansion



The view of the river from the mansion.  It was so nice to sit there.  Me and Macey did not want to leave






Lots of cherry blossoms in bloom




Huge bees as we waited for the bus



This guy didn't move even though I handled the flower.  I wonder if he was newly hatched or whatever they do





and we say goodbye to Mt. Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment